ARRIVE ON TIME
- If you are scheduled from 3:00 – 4:30 and show up late or not ready, you will have less time in the camera room.
- First of all AVOID STRIPES AND PLAID!! Solids photograph much better! Also bring a variety of color, don’t bring 5 blue outfits even if it is your favorite color. Avoid large, bold brand names or words on clothing.
- Already, a few big names from just a few years ago, you would not be caught dead wearing now. No need to make your portraits advertising billboards for a clothing brand.. Vary the style, all one look (like tees) gets boring. Vary the dress level, bring some dressy, some medium and some casual. Remember, it is best to do one or two outfits that mom will like, then we can do the stuff YOU like.
- Bring a dark t-shirt to wear under dark shirts. A white t-shirt triangle under a dark shirt sticks out like a sore thumb. so bring a black or gray.
- Our new sessions let you do unlimited looks within your time period. This means if you change fast, you get more variety. Spend all day in the dressing room, you get less time in front of the camera. Most people can get 4-5 looks per hour. More if you are quick and work easy. We suggest you bring double what you think we will do so we have more to pick from.
- Some shots are close up, others are full length. Plan outfits completely.
- It is hard to do a full length formal in your suit if all you brought was big old tennis shoes.
- Also remember, as a general rule, light clothes look better on lighter backgrounds and darker clothes look better on darker backgrounds. So if you prefer dark, bring dark, if you prefer some of both, bring some of both.
- Group your outfits together ON HANGARS. It is amazing how many people come in with clothes stuffed in a plastic bag and wonder why they are wrinkled!
- Make sure they are ironed. Although we have an iron for touch ups, we don’t want to waste your time on ironing.
- If in doubt, Watrous Photography offers a one-on-one consultation with a stylist prior to your session. Have my stylist come to you before the session and help with selection of clothing and put the best possible outfits together that will rock any of the sessions! She can come to your home or she can even go shopping with you and help you pick out something to bring out your best! This is optional of course, but if you’re in doubt about clothing, it is highly recommended!
- Please make sure you are clean shaven. Retouching stubble costs extra and still does not look as good as a clean shave. Got a goatee that mom hates, but you love? Do your casual shots first with it on, then bring a razor and go to the restroom and shave it off for mom’s formals. Everyone is happy that way!
- Avoid changing your hairstyle or cutting your hair right before your session. Let it be natural. Quick easy hairstyle changes during your session are OK, but make it quick or you loose camera time. Bring your hair care tools and products with you if need be.
- Although our photographer tries to help with hair, it is hard to know what your hair “is supposed to look like”. So make sure you like the look or let the photographer know your preferences. Hair style is ultimately YOUR responsibility.
- BRING THEM!! Bring props that help define who you are. Some popular choices are: Sports equipment (soccer ball, football, hockey stick, hurdle, whatever), sports uniforms, music instruments (from school tuba to rock guitar), activities (swimming, hobbies, you name it!), vehicles (motorcycles can come in the studio, cars must go to the park, we suggest more than an hour session for car shots).
- Most glasses glare! Some prescriptions more than others. Your best bet is to check with your optometrist. Most will “loan” you an empty set of frames similar to yours for your photo session.
- We retouch blemishes, so don’t worry about minor breakouts. This is included for all ordered images.
- Pets are OK as long as they are house broken. It is a good idea to have someone bring a pet, then leave with them after. Or bring a pet carrier to contain them while you are being photographed without them. Treats can be helpful to hold a dogs attention.
FRIENDS & PARENTS
- Friends or parents are welcome. They can be a help. HOWEVER, if they distract you, it is best to have them wait in the gallery. You can have a couple of shots with a boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend or sibling at no extra charge.
WEATHER FOR OUTDOOR PORTRAITS
- Let’s face it, we are at the mercy of mother nature. If it rains, no fretting will do anything about it, we simply have to reschedule. Don’t worry about clouds, they actually HELP! But rain falling IS a problem. If it is a morning session, we will take your phone number home with us and call you if we need to cancel due to weather, otherwise, we are on! If it is a daytime and the weather is questionable, simply call the studio.
TATTOOS, SCARS and BRACES
- Just let the photographer know if you want tattoos to show or not. It is that easy. Scars are not automatically retouched, but can be removed or softened at your request. Extensive work may have a slight extra charge.
- Braces? Don’t worry. You could have the tops taken off for your photo session, or we can retouch them out by computer. But don’t fight smiling, a braces smile is better than a dorky holding back a smile look.